Monday, July 18, 2011

Ugh!!

I'll admit it right away, although I'm sure you'd figure it out by reading further---I'm annoyed!! VERY annoyed!!! I was going through the Yahoo homepage, as I usually do, because they usually have interesting stories. The other day they had an article on strange hotel rooms. There's a hotel that is underwater, and the workers scuba dive down to you and deliver you pizza for food. I thought that was pretty cool. Right now there's a story about a guy riding his bike on a lake--cool stuff. Then there's an article that just eats me up!!!! It's called "The disaster that the world forgot."

Back in September of last year, a big earthquake hit New Zealand, and there were around 180 people killed. I can't remember it extremely well, but I'm sure there were rescue funds and everything, and I'm sure an amount of awareness was raised. You can ask almost any teenager, or even adult, that you see walking down the road a simple question like, "Who's Justin Bieber?" or Or "What's the biggest movie right now?" anything to do with modern news or entertainment, and they'll be able to asnwer you correctly. You ask them about a little city of 39,000 people called Christchurch, and 99.9% won't even know what the city is. Do you know what Christchurch is?

It's a city in New Zealand that has been hit EVERY DAY SINCE SEPTEMBER with an average of 20 earthquakes a day, 7,500 total. It just made me SICK when I realized the priorities of the media!!!! On the front page of Yahoo, there are four stories displayed, in this order. "Rebecca Black Debuts New Single," "Teen's Bike Stunt Defies Logic," "Embarrassing home run trot," And then FINALLY "The Disaster the world forgot." How sickening is that? There are 36 other featured stories on Yahoo's home page, and among them are a story letting everyone know about a golf star and his girlfriend breaking up, the NFL games being even longer this year, a baseball player hitting the ball so high it broke a light, a story about two celebrities who stayed out of the limelight for years, and quite a few other ridiculous stories.

Has our country become so heartless that we care about "Is it ok for kids to sleep in the bed with their parents" or Ivanka Trump's baby girl more than we care about a city that can't live a normal life because of the disaster that strike's daily? I can't even IMAGINE having my house destroyed, but really not being able to rebuild it because I know it'll be knocked down again. Imagine you're brushing your teeth in the morning and all of the sudden the ground starts shifting. You're out for a walk with your dog through the rubble in the street and you're knocked off your feet because of an earthquake. It's terrible, yet for a town of 39,000 people, it's their every day lives.

Let's not forget what's really important! And I'm not judging, because even for myself, sometimes my priorities get messed up. BUT, personally, I don't think that the media should be allowed to get their priorities messed up...I want to know the IMPORTANT stuff!

No comments: