Friday, March 19, 2010

Will the Disasters Ever End??

So, we all know that I'm an accident waiting to happen in the kitchen. Let me tell you about my experience from the other night, before I tell you about today's experience.

I decided to make home made snicker doodles. (Thanks for the recipe Laura!) When I was getting the ingredients out, however, I realized that we had just short of two cups of sugar. We were all really craving cookies, so I decided to make them anyways. The solution to the problem: 1/8 of a cup of brown sugar. If you've ever made snicker doodles with the recipe I have, you'll know that forming the cookies involves rolling them into balls, then smashing them down.

My BIG problem came about when I was rolling the cookies. The kept sticking to my hands. I thought that maybe I didn't have enough flour. So, I added more flour. That did NOT help. So, more flour....more flour....more flour...more, well, you get the picture. All in all, we (my mom tried to help me) ended up adding 1 cup or more of flour.

I don't know if you've ever had sweetened bread, but that's what these babies tasted like. I didn't have any sugar left for cinnamon and sugar, so I made sugar cookies with little green sprinkles. Ugh! I can still feel them in the bottom of my stomach. It was like putting sugar in a bag of flour, adding some milk, then trying to shove them down your throat!

Well, right now I'm in the process of making the snicker doodles again. (This time with all WHITE sugar!) My dad, my brother, the parent neighbors on the left, and the father of the family across the road were my first cookie devourers. My dad went inside to get a glass of milk, as is his tradition for any type of sweets. After giving Brian a cookie, (neighbor across the road) I headed inside to see what my dad thought of the cookies. (Did I mention that Brian just happened to grab the cookie with a burnt edge?!?!?!) I asked Dad what he thought of the cookies. I had one myself, and I thought they might have been a little dry. Dad agreed. So, I gave my neighbors dry cookies.

The problem was easily fixed, however, by turning the heat down just a tad, and only baking one dozen of cookies at a time. On my third dozen, I forgot to smash the cookies down, so we had little lumps of cookie dough and cinnamon. :0)

I'm happy to report, however, that the last two dozen I baked are delicious! :) The little tiny dough balls weren't that bad either : )

No comments: