Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas or Xmas??

Ok, I'm taking a deep breath right now before diving into this subject.

This year I've seen blog posts and gotten emails about "Xmas." Both saying "Don't take Christ out of Christmas!! It's CHRISTMAS not XMAS." I realize that some people, while reading this at their computers, might scrunch up there face, do the whole "whatever girlfriend", or just plain not read it, but I beg to differ that saying "Xmas" is taking Christ out of Christmas.

I found this while looking up the origin of "Xmas." It comes from crivoice.org in their article about Xmas NOT taking Christ from Christmas.
You’ve heard the classic story about the little boy who noticed the huge red-and-green sign spray-painted on a department story: "Happy Xmas." And he wondered aloud about the X. Why was it X-mas? And finally, in a forlorn voice, he asked his dad: "Did they cross Christ out of Christmas, Daddy?" And the father had never thought of it that way before, but finally nodded. "Yes, Son, I guess they did." And it makes you think.

According to dictionary.com, Xmas means "The abbreviation Xmas for Christmas dates from the mid 16th century. The X is the Greek letter chi, the initial in the word Χριστός ( Christos ) “Christ.” In spite of a long and respectable history, today Xmas is offensive to many, perhaps because of its associations with advertising."

So technically, those who say "Xmas" in lieu of "Christmas" because it's politcally incorrect, are actually putting Christ in Christmas either way:) For myself, I prefer Christmas because there is no mistaking Christ being the main part of Christmas, but those who say Xmas are NOT "crossing out Christ in Christmas"

2 comments:

Faye said...

Thanks for the history lesson. :)

Faye said...

I had never studied about it, so I was one that thought the X would be taking out Christ. Thank you, young lady, for educating an older person! Love you!!