Monday, April 12, 2010

Topic #2: Child Abuse

Hello everyone! Right now we're heading to Indianapolis to be with my wonderful aunt and uncle and their family. This post is a more serious one, but I'll post about our trip later. When I put up my first post, I was planning on addressing certain issues. One of them was child abuse. I never got around to it because I was going to have to do a little research to find out statistics and things. Now, I'm not going to have to now-I've been an eyewitness to a case.
When we were in Pigeon Forge, we stopped at a magic show. While I was washing my hands, I saw a little boy and his mother in the restroom. It was a little odd to me because the boy was probably about 9-10. His mother looked at him with distain, and told him that he was in "huge trouble." The little boy just nodded his head. He had a little bit of an attitude so I figured that was what he was in trouble for. His mother took him into the stall and within seconds he was bawling. When he came out he was wiping his eyes and still had an attitude.

At the beginning of the show, a man had all the kids 10 and under go up onto the stage to do a dance for the video. I lost sight of the little boy, but enjoyed the little dance they were doing, as it was adorable. When they stopped, the man looked at the little boy and told him he could go to his seat if he wasn't going to participate. The little boy went to his seat. I still didn't suspect anything but an attitude about being in trouble.

During intermission I went into the lobby to see what was being sold. As I was getting ready to leave the little boy and his father came out into the lobby so the dad could buy something. The little boy was practically begging his dad for a toy. It was so sad because, yes, I've asked my dad for stuff and pleaded a little, but the little boy was asking like it really really meant something to him. The dad just ignored him and bought himself a drink and some m&ms. Nothing for the little boy-nothing for the rest of the family. I noticed, too, that the little boy had a bruise on the left side of his face in the shaped of a handprint.

I went back to my seat and told my dad what had happeneed and what I had heard. He agreed that the little boy was being abused, as he had heard the father in the restroom. The little boy was in the stall and the dad starting yelling at him to get out "right now, you're just wasting time." The little boy told his dad that he wasn't wasting time, he was just using the restroom. The dad, then, very angrily, yelled, "No you're not. Get out here right now!!"
Dad said that the reason the little boy wouldn't participate in the song and dance was because he was abused. I'd like to note that the older sister was with the famly as well, and she was smiling and happy. After the family sat down, the little boy just sat in his seat and cried. When I realized that the little boy was indeed being abused, it made me cry. I sat there and cried so hard. I just don't understand how someone could abuse a child that they are twice the size of.

When the show had started again, the little boy got up to use the restroom. I really felt like I needed to tell him that I was praying for him. I asked my mom and dad, and Dad suggested that I tell him that God loves him. So I ran out to the restroom to tell him. He was standing in the bathroom looking up at the pictures. He realized that I wanted to talk to him, so he came out. I put my hand on his should and told him that God loves him very much. I told him that I was praying for him, too. I think I said it more than once, but I really wanted him to know. He nodded, and looked like he was going to cry. He turned to walk away, and I asked, "Do you want a hug?" He nodded and so I gave him a hug and held on to him for a moment. I couldn't help but start crying again. He was so small. He told me his name, which I hauntingly cannot remember, and his age-8. After I hugged him we looked at the pictures a little and I asked him if he liked the show and he told me about his cousin that did a magic trick.
There are so many people that are hurting out there that it's unbelievable. Who would have thought that I would walk into a magic show and see a case of child abuse? I've been praying for him off and on throughout each day since I met him. I pray that God will let the little boy feel His love. I ask God, that when he is in pain, maybe having been smacked around, that God will wrap him in His arms. I pray that God will also send someone to be a witness to him. That God will make him a great witness. I told a friend that maybe someday he'll have a story like Brother Russell Frazier. If you've never heard the story of Brother Frazier's life, it's an amazing one. But that's a post for another time. I'm going to go now, but I'd like to ask anyone who reads this to keep the little boy in your prayers. I want to someday hear that he was delivered from the situation he's in now. Also, please offer up a prayer for all the abused children, and don't be too busy with your life to stop and help someone who is hurting. Probably the most comforting a person can hear is that God trully loves them and that you're praying for him.

1 comment:

Laura Masiker said...

How sad! I'm glad that you took the time to show him you care.