Friday, October 8, 2010

Domestic Violence part 1

Even though I haven't been the recipient of abuse, I've been told first-hand stories of it, and I hope that we can all be a little more aware of the abuse. If the people who are not being mistreated can be aware of abuse, we have more of a chance of helping someone out of that life style:)

After my experience with the little abused boy in Pigeon Forge, I've become very aware of abuse. When reading the news online, I get sick to my stomach while reading stories of abuse. Actually I try to avoid them if at all possible, but sometimes I read the stories just to remind myself that life isn't all pleasantness. The life of joy and freedom that I enjoy is not enjoyed by all. There are people who suffer and hurt, and they're all around us. I'm positive that many of the people we see everyday are miserable and hoping that someone sees their pain, and can provide a lifeline out of their situation.

Along with child abuse, abuse in the marriage is also very, very common. More often than not, we hear about a woman being abused by her husband. Many women are afraid to tell their friends or someone that can help about the abuse for various reasons. I know that one reason is because before the physical abuse starts, mental abuse takes place. A man will sometimes manipulate his wife and play with her emotions until eventually, she has no self esteem left. When the physical abuse begins, the woman may feel like nobody will ever love her again or that she is too ugly, fat, etc. for someone to love her, so she has to stay with her husband. Another reason is because she really does love the man. She loved him before the abuse started, so she continues to love him. And a last, very extreme reason that women keep quiet, is they are afraid of death. They've been told that they WILL be found and killed if they ever leave or speak out.

Now I'm going to bring up a situation that many people would scoff at, but it's very, very relevant to our society. Many men are also abused. We would think that a man being abused would be ridiculous. Men are stronger than women, right? They could defend themselves? That's true, but a lot of men are true gentlemen and wouldn't lay a hand on a women, even if she's not a lady. In my opinion, I think a man wouldn't want to tell someone about his situation, or make a move to stop it, because they're embarrassed to admit they're being abused by a woman. But what other word is there for the slapping, hurtful words, and manipulating that many women use to control their husbands?

Since we've discussed the downside of abuse in this post, I want to offer a little bit of hope and comfort in my next post:) Stay tuned for part 2!

4 comments:

Meagan Rowell said...

Abuse (on both sides, male & female) is common in our society today. Why? Well, only God sees EXACTLY why. It's so sad. I've heard stories of abuse on children. Sometimes it's too hard for children to tell someone what really is going on at home. Then, it becomes "too late" and the children are abused to death. Maybe someone noticed bruises on the poor kids body but never did anything about it. We have to step up! We can't just let things go on and never help.

And another thing, we have to pray for our nation. Get a deep burden. A friend was encouraging me the other day and told me how Samuel (I think) cried out to God to save Saul *Intercessory prayer* If one person gets on their face and cries out to God for someone or a nation (like missions), what do you think the result would be?? God would answer our prayers. Answer our cries and pleads! We need a burden for America. It's going downhill and we just need someone to get on their face and ask God to change it.


Btw, looking forward to the next post :)

Faye said...

This is a very good post!! I, too, am looking forward to your next post!

Faye said...

Still looking forward to your next post!!!

Amber said...

I'm sorry!! I was waiting for my computer to stop blocking my blog! lol the school computer sometimes block strange things so I had to wait! I turned off Saturday so I was planning on posting today:)