Friday, October 22, 2010

Clear the roads!! Wait no, clear the sidewalks! Warn everyone that a dangerous threat is about to arrive!! "What is that threat?" you might wonder. The threat is....

This girl is turning sweeeet 16 tomorrow!! And with those numbers also comes the privilege of getting my driver's permit! Oh yeah!!:D



I figured in honor of my birthday, and in realizing that I am becoming more wise with each year *ahem*, I should post some things I've learned in life thus far:D


1. Make sure to carefully read recipes when you're cooking! If not, you may end up with 8 teaspoons of salt, watery Velveeta shells, very, very doughy snicker doodles, or 6 cups of Crisco! (YES I did this! I thought that bars of Crisco were measured the same wasy as a stick of butter, and the recipe called for 3 cups of Crisco. It was fixable tho. I only had 5 sticks in-unblended- so I took two out:D)


2. ALWAYS do a full-body clothing check before going to church!

(One night as I was down praying at the altar, I reached behind me to adjust my blazer and make sure it was pulled down all the way. To my absolute horror I discovered that the jumper I had on under the jacket was all the way unzipped. Thankfully, it wasn't very noticealbe, and was easily fixed. I can only imagine if I hadn't had the jacket on!!)


3. That the words for a very common church song aren't, "I won't sell it for smoke," but actually, "I won't settle for smoke!"


4. Hairspray is a Pentecostal girl's second best friend. The first is Jesus:D But yes, hairspray is wonderful! Many times my hair has been rebellious, but I whip it back into order with a spritz of hairspray:D

5. Those girls who walk around the mall in very, very tall heels are absolutely C-R-A-Z-Y! It's been my experience that after walking in high heels for about 10 minutes, my feet begin to yell at me to just STOP it! If I don't listen to the yelling, they give me HUGE amounts of pain! And I continue to suffer after I take them off because there is a muscle in my foot that sometimes pulls after walking in heels. So, my advice, do NOT walk around the mall in heels! Ever!

I have learned a couple of more serious lessons. I'm not completely ditsy, just a little:D Sometimes my mind starts working and the house gets a little smoky from all the work going on:D

1. It's a saying as old as the hills. "Never judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes." This is soo true! Something that you be able to deal with and come through easily may be the biggest trial of another person's life. And something that may be meaningless to them would be the biggest trial of your life. The Bible also has something to say about judging other people. I like Matthew 7:1 in the Amplified Bible. "Do not judge and criticize and condemn others, so that you may not be judge and critized and condemned yoursleves."

2. What goes around truly does come back around. If you're mean and nasty and spiteful towards others, they're going to be mean, nasty, and spiteful back to you. If you show love and kindness to other people, they're going to show love and kindness to you. Isaiah 3: 10-11 of the NIV Bible says, "Tell the righteous it will be well with them, for they will enjoy the fruit of their deeds. Woe to the wicked! Disaster is upon them! They will be paid back for what their hands have done."

3. Respect will get results. If you disrespect someone, don't expect them to be nice and do something for you or listen to what you have to say in return.

4. Things do not last forever:) I used to be pretty high-strung. Then one day, I was thinking-yes the smoke was filling the house- and I thought to myself, "You know, nothing lasts forever. Will this matter in eternity?" That's pretty much how I view things. In life, accidents happen. Things get broken, words are said that shouldn't be said, feelings get hurt, but they aren't going to last forever. That's not a free pass to insult people and be hateful, but if you do accidently hurt someone's feelings, apologize. You might be embarrassed, but it's not going to last forever. If you don't apologize and cause someone to stumble, that may last forever:) So, let's humble ourselves. I don't know why I added that because it really doesn't have anything to do with being high-strung:) But, I've discovered that life is too short...we need to enjoy it while we can:)

Well, that's the wisdom I'v gained in the past 16 years:) Well, not really 16 cuz I didn't discover that when I was a few months old. Anyways, I'm babbling. I hope you all have a wonderful day/evening/whenever you read this:) I love you all! Thanks for being faithful blog-readers:D




3 comments:

Faye said...

I'm glad I'm your grandma!! You are a blessing, my dear!!

Meagan Rowell said...

Eek!!! Happy Birthday!!! :D wooooo sweet 16!!!!


LOL I so have to talk to you ASAP!

Amber said...

I'm glad you're my grandma too!!:) And I'm glad you're my pastor's wife:D

@Meagan, thank you!!